5.28.2006

My Blog-Type Thing

I’ve been publishing (and trying to publish) stories for about three years now, and I’ve been long debating whether or not to start a blog or have some kind of online presence. About not wanting to have any online presence, I’ll say this: I used to admire (much better) writers like Pynchon and Salinger, who have sought out anonymity and lived reclusively. But my attitude toward the writer-as-genius-recluse has kind of changed over the past ten years or so. I mean, people who choose to write are already working in such a small bubble. Why try and make it even smaller? And there are times when I really appreciate the community building that can take place online—at book-oriented websites or literary magazines.

So, this is going to be a place for me to write every now and then about what I’m reading and writing, or what I’m publishing, or whatever else comes to mind. I don’t know that a community is going to spring up around this little blog, or that anyone will ever even come across it, and I suppose that’s what we writers are always dealing with: not knowing whether or not we are ever going to reach an audience. But we tend to keep on creating, even if it feels sometimes like we’re only talking to ourselves, in the hopes that we might eventually reach someone.

No comments: