10.18.2006

Clichés

For some reason the expression, "We work hard, and we play hard," popped into my head last night.

I was getting ready to watch Veronica Mars, which is easily one of my favorite shows on TV, right behind The Wire and The Sopranos. It's got a much different feel to it than those shows, but nonetheless, it's smart and entertaining, all that.

So I was getting ready to watch Veronica Mars and I was imagining some guy saying "We work hard, and we play hard." In my head, the guy who was saying it was holding a beer in his hand, and he was good-looking in that annoying way, way too cocky. His hair was gelled, and I could tell from the way he was holding his beer that he was capable of bad things--but that he'd probably find a way of getting away with whatever crimes he committed, because in my head, that's the kind of guy he was, the kind who got away with a lot of bad shit.

And I realized, while imagining this stuff, and getting ready to watch Veronica Mars, that I don't think I've ever been friends with that guy, with the one who holds a beer in his hand and says, "We work hard, and we play hard." I was kind of glad about that.
* * *
Speaking of Veronica Mars: I thought last night was going to be the night Veronica and Logan break up for this season, and I predicted this to J.C., as the whole episode seemed to be pointing in that direction, but then, then, then, as the episode was concluding, Veronica and Logan made up. And what song was playing in the background, you ask, as Veronica and Logan were standing next to the information desk at the library?

It was that song by Regina Spektor I you-tube'd to the blog last week. It about brought a tear to my eye.

No comments: