10.08.2006

Galesburg Scarecrow Festival

Awards will be given later today in the following categories:

Traditional

(The poster attached to the scarecrow's legs reads "Let God's Light Shine!")

Whimsical


Knox County Business

(That's the front of my truck in the pumpkin's right armpit.)


Youth Clubs/Organizations


And a few other categories, including Children's, which had some pretty cute entries, but I didn't get a chance to take any pics, as the foot traffic was fairly heavy, and I was trying to stay out of people's way.

I know this is a little random. I've been trying to think of something literary to say to make it more pertinent to this blog, but I'm not coming up with anything. Well, that is Judge Ichabod Crane in the last photo, which is, of course, fairly literary, though I've never cared much for Irving.

Anybody know of any good stories that incorporate scarecrows? There's the great pumpkin-carving story "Yours" by Mary Robison, which I taught just a week or so ago and which I love so much I would probably have the entire thing tattooed onto my back.

And there's Charles Baxter's story "Harmony of the World" which incorporates a scarecrow-like effigy of a woman hanging from a tree.

But I can't think of any good scarecrow stories, other than, you know, The Wizard of Oz. Any help, people?

No comments: