4.15.2007

The Strangest Month

Since about the second day of April, when we were reading Some Ether by Nick Flynn in Intro to Lit, I've been reminding my students that it's National Poetry Month.

Then, about a week ago, I came across this item in the local paper. That's right: April is also National Sexually Transmitted Infection Month.

I thought quite a bit about how the two might somehow be related, and I laughed some, and then this morning, another item in the local newspaper.

So, April is National Poetry Month. And it's also the time we should think about Sexually Transmitted Infections, and be aware of alcohol.

Suddenly, the connections among these three things are becoming so much clearer. I think I may write a poem about them.
* * *
On a wholly unrelated note--and it's so unrelated I should probably give it its own post--MLB celebrates the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's debut with the Dodgers today. This--acknowledging the social impact/role of sports--is one of those things that makes me feel less guilty for all the time I spend watching college basketball and football, the Cubs, and myriad boxing and UFC matches.

Though, in the end, I'm not so sure the UFC will ever impact society all that much. Nonetheless, it's pretty fun to watch.

No comments: