7.02.2008

Links

Last week, the always excellent Five Chapters serialized Pia Z. Ehrhardt's "Closer, Still."

This week, they're running Ron Rash's "The Gatsons."

* * *
The Comics Reporter recently posted an interview with Lynda Barry, whose What It Is I read a few days ago.

I pretty much loved this book. It's part memoir, part creativity theory, and part workbook, all by way of stunning collages and text. And the above interview does quite a bit to further illuminate the ideas Barry gets down in the book.

I'm thinking I may use this book in an undergrad fiction workshop some time. It would be a cool change of pace.

* * *
And speaking of teaching...

I spent most of May talking about narrative journalism in my Beginning Nonfiction course, and I have to say, I've come to really love the genre.

Last week, Esquire posted online a story from their September 2007 issue: "Tonight on Dateline This Man Will Die" by Luke Dittrich. I began reading it mostly out of curiosity but became totally swept up in the narrative spun by Dittrich. I taught narrative journalism using The Best American Crime Reporting 2007, and I'm betting this article winds up in next year's edition.

No comments: